Sunday, September 12, 2010

Behind the Masks - A Star Wars Jedi Master


I went on a rant yesterday so I thought I'd do something a little lighter today. Now I admit that I've seen all of the Star Wars movies and have enjoyed them to greater and lesser degrees. But I never cease to be amazed at who the people are behind some of the costumes and makeup. Case in point is the young lady I'm highlighting today. The Jedi Master Shaak Ti appeared in Episodes 2 (Attack of the Clones) and 3 (Revenge of the Sith) - if you look at the extras part of the DVD you can watch her being knocked off. I had no idea what she looked like under all that makeup and then - low and behold - I actually met her at the Motor City Comic Con in May 2004. Turns out the person beneath the mask was Orli Shoshan, a drop-dead-gorgeous young lady born and raised in Israel, who served in the Israeli army for a couple of years and then worked security for the airline El-Al in Chicago. Apparently very tough and adventurous she then went on a motorcycling tour of India and Thailand. In 1997 she moved to Australia where she pursued a modeling/acting career. In 2002 she started her own fashion line named - ironically enough - Orli, which marketed fashionable, comfortable, up-market sports and street wear. In 2005 she was modeling in Japan and in 2006 studied acting at "The Studio" acting school in Israel. She got married in 2008 and in 2009 had a baby daughter named Mikela, the family now settled in Chicago. It was very nice meeting her and placing a "face behind the mask," and I personally wish her all the best in all of her future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment