Wednesday, June 13, 2012

New Ship Models


I'm always on the hunt for new sources of 1:2400 ship models and recently I stumbled across this site called Shapeways.com. Among a lot of other stuff they offer ship models in a variety of scales, including 1:1200, 1:1250, 1:2400, 1:3000, 1:4800, 1:6000 and then a few larger ones in the 1:700, 1:600 and even 1:500 scales. Some of the larger scales are mostly airplanes but the smaller ones have a lot of ships. They also have spaceships for those who are so inclined - and sometimes I am. Anyway, I sent them an order and a couple of weeks later I got my ships - they actually make them just for you. They are different plastic materials and are very light - in fact if you blow hard you would blow your fleet away. Solution - don't blow on your ships!! Pictured at top is the Indian carrier Vikramaditya - formerly the Soviet/Russian Baku and then Admiral Gorshkov, which has just begun sea trials and is due to be delivered later this year. Next is the French nuclear carrier Charles de Gaulle, which is pretty unique. Then to the left is the Italian carrier Giuseppe Garibaldi, which I had a few Superior Harrier models for. The ship in front is the advanced destroyer Zumwalt, which is under construction now. Then the little guy to the left is the Thai coastal defense ship Ratanakosindra, two of which were built in the 1920's and lasted into the 1960's and 1970's. I like the detail and the ships in the line fill gaps no other company currently is filling. Definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment