Monday, June 11, 2012

Where Did Princess Leia Get the Ear-Muffs Hair?


I haven't really pondered where George Lucas came up with the hair style we first see on Princess Leia in the first Star Wars movie - Whoops, I guess it was the fourth movie. Whatever. Anyway, I have seen a similar hairstyle on Sarah Douglas in the movie People that Time Forgot, which was released in August 1977. Star Wars was released in May 1977 and they were both made in England (or at least parts of them were) so chances are that some of the same hair stylists were working on both movies. Then I came across a couple of early appearances of Batgirl/Barbara Gordon in issues of Detective Comics and low-and-behold - ear-muffs! In the late 1960's. Don't know if there was any influence there or it was just a fluke but it's always sort of fun to speculate about. Anyway, it worked out for a nice Babs Gordon conversion to use the head from a Princess Leia in white outfit coupled with a Leia on Bespin body. I think the force was with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment