Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday's Child is Full of Grace


Someone asked me what all this Monday's Child, Tuesday's Child is all about. I perhaps erred in thinking that it was more commonly understood. At any rate, according to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it was a sort of fortune-telling song or nursery rhyme. It was first published in England in 1838, but versions of it may predate publication, and was intended to predict the possible future for children born on particular days of the week. However, it has been used a little more broadly over time as everything from an episode of Star Trek to a weekly program for adoption of special needs children. I'm using it as a vehicle to spotlight "celebrities" I've met over time. For Tuesday's child I chose Yvonne Craig, an actress who made her first appearances in the 1960s. She played Batgirl on the Batman TV series (final season), appeared as a green alien girl on Star Trek, where she tried to seduce Captain Kirk before killing him, and in a number of other TV and movie projects. She even starred with Elvis in one of his movies. She had been hired for the Batgirl part specifically because of her dancing abilities and she truly was full of grace. I met her in 1999 and again in 2001 and she was very gracious. She was one of my crushes from my misspent youth when I was going through my brunette period, which included Linda Ronstadt and a more obscure actress named Anne Helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment