Friday, August 10, 2012

Spellbinder


I decided that for the next few posts at least I'd concentrate on some villains and what better one to start with than a really obscure Batman villain who was a real pain in the butt to paint. Spellbinder showed up in Detective Comics #358 and ran into Batman on his very first crime. However, he was prepared, using optical devices to hypnotize the caped crusader and convince him that something else altogether was going on. Of course this trick only worked a couple of times before Batman became wise to the gambit and cast his own spell on the Spellbinder. This was one of my earlier conversions and as such I had not yet discovered the joys of paint pens with hard, fine tips. Thus all of the swirls and lines and outlining was done with a brush!! Trust me, it was a lot of very fine work. Almost made me dizzy - or maybe I should say dizzier than I already am. I used a Toy Biz Silver Surfer body and the head from a Daredevil figure for Spellbinder.

2 comments:

  1. I like this one a lot. I think Mattel should consider this guy for the for the DC Universe Classics line if for no other reason than the eye catching costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have done some pretty obscure characters so I guess there's always a possibility.

    ReplyDelete