Monday, March 12, 2012

Superboy and His TV Series


I don't know how many (if any) of you remember the Superboy TV series that ran for four seasons in syndication between 1988-1992. The first season starred John Haymes Newton as Superboy and Stacey Haiduk as Lana Lang. Haymes Newton was replaced in seasons 2, 3 and 4 by Gerard Christopher, with Stacy hanging around channeling Lana. I think I enjoyed all of it but some of the later seasons were better. There were several episodes in the "Roads Not Taken" story line where we get to see alternate universe versions of the boy of steel. In some he's a darker character, including one where he cleaves that pesky Lex Luthor with his heat vision (personally I would have offed the bald headed miscreant years ago) and one in which he was raised not by the kindly Kent family but by a man who had a yearning for power and raised Kal-El to rule the world - which someone with his powers would probably have been able to pull off. I liked those story lines and, having a really fertile imagination, decided to create a few of my own. So the next several posts will include some material about Gerard Christopher (whom I've met) and my own versions of the Roads Not Taken. Stay tuned. As for the figure - I used a Mego Pocket Superheroes figure of Superman coupled with the head from a Battlestar Galactica Starbuck and the cape from a Superpowers Collection Superman to make this Superboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment